Friday, May 6, 2011

NYC Metropolitan Museum of Art - K Schloss

I traveled to the MET yesterday!!! My daughter received a pass from school to attend with me. We jumped on the train, hopped the subway, walked two blocks and we made it! Our visit was not as long as we would have liked because I had to make it back to New Haven for my last 5:30 Senior Humanities class. Graduation is upon me, thank goodness!






My literal run through the museum discovered this beautiful Parure jewelry made of gold and amethyst in France ca. 1830. In addition to jewelry, furniture was also featured.



I particularly admired this French (1839) bookstand oak, maple, ebony, ebony veneer, ebonized maple, snake wood, ivory, mother-of-pearl, silk velvet, gilt bronze and brass.










Another piece of furniture that had beautiful color and detail. An Italian mahogany wood designed by Filippo Pelaggio Palagi (1832-35).













Oak and pine veneered with rosewood, tulip wood, ebony and ebonize wood make up this Austrian prayer bench (1855).












Charles Cordier carved these beautiful sculptures in 1862 from bronze, algerian onyx-marble, and enamel. This one is titled
The Jewish Woman of Algiers and this is








The Goat Tender of the Colonies. I found these both to be striking.












This is a Kwoma Ceiling. The Kwoma are a people who live in the Washku Hills north of New Guinea. My guess is this measures more than 75 feet long.















Marble portrait bust of Marcus Aurelius. Roman Antonine, ca. AD 161-169.












Marble portrait bust of the co-emporer Lucius Versus. Roman Antonine period A.D. 161-169









Marble statue of a bearded Hercules. Roman Flavian period. AD 68-98.













I know it's morbid but I was so drawn to the sarcophagus display and I told my daughter I want to be buried in something just as fabulous.




Marble sarcophagus with the myth of Selene and Endymion. Roman Severan period, early 3rd AD.






The detail is beautiful.









Marble sarcophogus lid with reclining couple. Roman Severan, period ca. AD 220.





Here's my daughter making a wish for more scholarship money for her college education. Wish us luck!

I took a bunch more photos, too many to post. The day was an experience within itself.



































































1 comment:

  1. Super Karzima... Nice job with these and with the captions too...Looks like you had a great day with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete