Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yale Center For British Art

I tried to recreate my weekend visit to Yale Center For British Art the best waythat I can .I also wished I could have captured Sir Thomas Lawrence genius from my camera lens but the Internet is just as good. Thank you Professor Nevins for providing such a great link.John Julius Angerstein (1736–1823)Medium
Oil on canvas
The Daughters of Colonel Thomas Carteret Hardy
A portraits, of a friend's wife, Mary Hamiltonn Oil on Canvass. He drew Mary Hamilton in pencil, red and black chalk in 1789. The British Museum, which owns the work, writes, "This important drawing of Mary Hamilton is arguably the most beautiful female portrait of its type Thomas Lawrence, self-portrait from 1788, right, was born in Bristol in 1769. He was a child prodigy and by age 10, when his family moved to Bath, he supported then with his drawings in pastels. He moved to London at age 18 and was soon hailed as an up and coming talented successor to Sir Joshua Reynolds, then Britain's leadingportraitist.http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pd/s/thomas_lawrence,_mary_hamilton.aspx.
The Duke of Wellington on the horse who carried him throughout the day-long Battle of Waterloo.
I had pleasant visit at Yale British Art Gallery. The entrance was free and the counter staff was very knowledgeable. There was a older woman working at the front desk that passed on an abundance of knowledge to me . She explained very piece of art and dates for each era. I was impressed. After explaining the art and artistes for five minutes, she said young man, “what period or artistes are you looking for ?” I said ,“ Thomas Lawrence.” The woman said, “you meant Sir Thomas Lawrence.” I respond, “yes exactly.” She said “ well he’s on the second floor.” I said , “thank you “and proceeded up stairs. I walked into Sir Thomas Lawrence private collection and I was met by a guard. He said no cameras are allowed here." I said ,"very well “that’s fine.” I was a little intimated at first when I was approached by the guard but I didn’t take it personal because it there job to monitored these priceless artwork( these guards ran a tight ship and they monitor every move you make). Sir Thomas collection was very impressive and interesting. My only fault was, I couldn’t take pictures and share them with my classmates. The rest of the museum was very pleasant and simple compare to the others I visited throughout the module. I had another excellent experience and I recommend my fellow student/family members to visit this museum at lease once.

4 comments:

  1. There are no shortage of Lawrence paintings available online to use... take a look at this search result on Google images:

    http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=984&bih=812&q=Sir+Thomas+Lawrence&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=

    When a show travels to a museum, they don;t allow photos as they don't own the work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary, Yes I found this so at all the museums. The most disappointing was The Whitney because I couldn't take any pictures at all of any of the collections, even the permanent ones. I had to go online to their website and hope they had a picture of the pieces I wanted to share that had impact on my visit.
    Cheers, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the other museums was fine but I found Yale British Museum guards to be a bit overboard with the collection. (This was only with Sir Thomas Collection). Boy They watched my every move but I didn't care because I capture Sir Thomas Greatness and that all that mattered!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Professor, Iwill use it!

    ReplyDelete