Wednesday, April 20, 2011

New Britan American Art Visit

To tell the truth, I was a diehard European Art fan until I visited The New Britain Museum Of American Art. Man, I have so much respect for our American Artistes. The Museum is very beautiful and the staff was very considerate and helpful. This is the first museum that waived the entrance fee and the staff really understood what it’s like to be a student. The museum staff wish me luck and sent me on my way. I was very excited to visit the impressionism gallery secondary to the impact the Europeans artist made o n this genre. I ran into some major American artworks and new name that created excellent pieces. For example , Graydon Parrish, Benjamin West ,Edward L. Henry, Ralph Earl, and Thomas Hart Benton. After viewing these artistes work, I concluded that the American Artistes are just as good or even better than the Europeans . I have a new found respect for American artistes, Gary Wilson.
My final paper will be on Graydon Parrish “ The Cycle of Terror and Tragedy .” post September 11, 2001.

4 comments:

  1. Great Gary... Graydon Parrish is young and represents a new return to figurative and narrative painting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor, He and Thomas Hart Benton blew my mind at the museum. I spent an hour steering at Parrish Arworks trying pick apart what he represented. he replayed 9-11 in a historic and acamedic fashion. I chose this painting because I lived through this diaster. all the other genre /period I could only fantacize about the previous periods but the terror post 9-11, I lived through that period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary I thought I was special with the waiving of the fee-lol. They gave me and my mom visitor passes, which was very cool. I enjoyed the museum as well. Hey what about the artwork with the painted cups? My mom just loved that concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not lol!!!Yeah, I couldn't believe it but they waived the fee. I Guess the staff look out for students. And about the cups, I thought they were very fascinating and original. as i stated earlier , I wasn't fan of American Artistes but this museum really made we change my views. I have to say , I was very impress with our Americans Artistes.

    ReplyDelete